Monday, September 8, 2008

Selfish pursuits are good unless it is a government program

Adam Smith in his famous Wealth of Nations asserts that rational self-interest and competition operating in a social framework depending on adherence to moral obligations, can lead to economic prosperity and well-being. If that is true, why is the education system performing so poorly? Educators certainly work at promoting their own self-interest. Ah . . . It must have to do with the lack of competition and adherence to moral obligations. Let’s think about those two things.

First, while there is some competition present, our education system is basically a government-run effort with responsibility spread between Federal, State and Local governments. This bureaucratic approach has led to an education system for the vast majority of American children that is unresponsive to their needs. The school choice movement is about allowing competition to occur. In spite of the bureaucratic straight jacket that goes with government funding many charter schools have been started and many are competing very effectively with their “mainline” counterparts. This has led to a groundswell of complaints and whining from those working in the mainline schools. They view it as taking resources away from “their” work and a threat to their place at the government trough.

So, what enlightenment can be gained by considering Smith’s other point about adhering to moral obligations. Do the public schools have a moral obligation to provide high quality educational experiences to all American children? You notice I didn’t say “adequate,” I said high quality. While the definition of what constitutes high quality is open for discussion it is obvious that it is not a continuation of the current status quo.

In the book I am writing I propose what I call The Ethical Basis of Professionalism in Education. I used the Hippocratic Oath as a basis which I modified for education. It does provide the basis for a good self-examination by educators to encourage a more balanced approach to their advocacy for themselves on a personal basis in the context of the moral obligations that Smith espouses.


The Ethical Basis of Professionalism in Education

PRIMUM NON NOCERE

The Hippocratic Oath spelled out the first responsibility of a professional in clear terms. This 2500 year-old code of conduct for Greek doctors has stood the test of time. The most famous element in the Hippocratic Oath is Primum non nocere—“Above all, not knowingly to do harm.”

Professionals, whether doctor, lawyer, teacher, or engineer cannot guarantee to do good for a client. But they are constrained by professional ethics to TRY. They also can promise that they will not knowingly do harm. If this is not true the client can have no trust for the professional. The professional has to have autonomy in that the client cannot control, direct, or supervise the professional. The professional’s knowledge and judgement have to be entrusted with the decisions. However, because of this, the professional is expected to act in the public interest. So a professional is private in that they must not be subject to political or ideological control, but they are public in the sense that the welfare of their client sets limits on their words and deeds. Thus, primum non nocere, “above all, not knowingly to do harm” is the basis of all professional ethics, an ethic of public responsibility.

When this rule of ethics is not followed it causes grievous social harm. It tends to misdirect and prevent understanding. When ignored widely in a profession it can make the public lose all respect for that group.

Following are more of the professional expectations written by Hippocrates, with small changes to translate them for educators.

I will use methods of instruction which, according to my ability and judgment, I consider for the benefit of my students, each on an individual basis considering that student’s needs.

Fairness requires impartiality, objectivity and intellectual honesty. It involves keeping my own feelings, prejudices and desires in check so that I may properly balance conflicting interests.

Educators and those in training shall always place the best interest of students above their own direct or indirect interests.

I will keep to the highest expectations of myself in the practice of my profession.

I will discipline myself to always work for positive results in my classroom and the district as a whole. I will avoid participation in negative and unproductive pursuits.

I will discipline myself to hold those things which should be confidential, confidential. I will not participate in harmful rumors and criticism of people behind their backs.

I will continually seek the truth of my performance so that I can work to perfect that performance.

Copyright © 2007, PWR

No comments: